In our opinion there is no candy sweeter, greater or more timeless than the Sour Patch Kid, from the eye catching bright yellow and red eye catching packaging to the quintessential sour puss that each one puts on your face at first. Sour then sweet as they say, fun and delicious is all I remember and care about.
However, after taking one look at the back of said eye catching packaging it doesn't take long to get caught up by the ingredient list and nutrition label. Suffice to say these won't be prolonging your health by any means. That's why we have put together this simple four ingredient sour patch kid recipe for you to try!
- 6oz Jello Flavor of your choice ( a variety works best to achieve those colors )
- 2/3 Cup of water
- 1/3 Cup of Gelatin ( Agar Agar can also be substituted )
- 1/3 Cup of water
- 2 Tbsp Citric Acid
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- Bring 2/3 cups of water to a boil in a small sauce pan
- While your water is heating whisk in your gelatin and 1/3 cups of water together and set aside
- Once your water is boiling slowly whisk in your Jello packet
- Whisk in your gelatin mixture small clumps at a time
- Add 1tbsp of Citric Acid
- Stir for 3 minutes
- Take off heat and pour into a measuring cup or squeeze dropper
- Pour into SpaceOutLabs 'Child Shaped' Silicone Candy Making Mold
- Let sit in fridge for three hours
- Remove from molds and dust with sugar and citric acid combination and enjoy! These will be good for 3-5 days in the fridge. For best results leave in a cool dark environment with a fan circulating air for 24-48 hours before packaging. If you are looking to keep these not in the fridge / for longer, you can add mold inhibitor as a preservative.
They turned out amazing and they taste as delicious as they look!!